J-1: Maintaining Legal Status

In order to maintain your legal status as a J-1 faculty or staff member you must:

  • Have a valid I-94 card and a valid and current DS 2019 form at all times

  • Have a valid passport (both you and your dependents)

    • To extend your passport, you will need to contact your home country embassy or consulate for the procedures that you must follow. Be sure to contact your embassy at least 6 months prior to the expiration of your passport to ensure timely processing.

  • Maintain adequate health insurance coverage for yourself and your dependents as required by federal regulations

  • Pursue the activity as described in #4 on your DS 2019 form

  • Only engage in employment in the department or office for which your program has been approved

  • File timely and appropriate transfer and extension notifications through the ISS office

  • If any university courses are taken, they must only be part-time, non-degree courses

  • Limit departures from the campus and the US to less than 30 days during your J-1 program unless the reason for leaving longer allows the maintaining of the J-1 program

    • If a scholar will be away from campus for more than 30 days while in the US, a contract between Purdue and the location where the scholar is performing research or teaching must be in place to permit the new worksite.  Otherwise, the scholar would need to request the J program be transferred to that new site (if that site permits a J program). More information about transferring on this site.

    • If a scholar will be gone for 30 days or more from the US to continue a collaboration between Purdue and another institution, a letter from the Purdue inviting professor will be needed for the scholar's file at ISS.  The letter should

      • Be address To Whom It May Concern

      • List the street address of the overseas worksite location

      • State the date leaving the US and the date returning to Purdue

      • State the purpose of the trip in relation to continuing the collaboration

    • If a scholar intended to return within 30 days and is delayed awaiting a visa approval or an Act of God (Iceland volcano, for example), the scholar should email iss@purdue.edu so we can add this information to the file

    • Personal reasons such as family events or job requirements in the home country would normally prohibit the continuation of J-1 program, so the scholar should email iss@purdue.edu with the reason for leaving the US for 30 or more days so that a counselor can evaluate it.