J-1: Maintaining Legal Status

In order to maintain your legal status as a J-1 faculty or staff member you must:

  • Have a valid I-94 card and a valid and current DS 2019 form at all times

  • Have a valid passport (both you and your dependents)

    • To extend your passport, you will need to contact your home country embassy or consulate for the procedures that you must follow. Be sure to contact your embassy at least 6 months prior to the expiration of your passport to ensure timely processing.

  • Maintain adequate health insurance coverage for yourself and your dependents as required by federal regulations

  • Pursue the activity as described in #4 on your DS 2019 form

  • Only engage in employment in the department or office for which your program has been approved

  • File timely and appropriate transfer and extension notifications through the ISS office

  • If any university courses are taken, they must only be part-time, non-degree courses

  • Limit departures from the campus and the US to 21 days or less during your J-1 program unless the reason for leaving longer allows the maintaining of the J-1 program.  Please discuss such plans with an ISS counselor during a walkin session or by emailing iss@purdue.edu about how to document reasons to be away from campus or the US and still be maintaining the J program. Our walkin times are Monday to Friday (except during university holidays) at these times:

    • 9 AM to 11:30 AM (except Thursdays)

    • 1:30 PM to 4 PM

Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907 (765) 494-4600

© 2012 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints

If you have trouble accessing this page because of a disability, please contact International Students & Scholars at iss@purdue.edu.